This Gothic Revival stone church was designed by Frohmann, Robb, and Little and construction was completed by Edward A. Wehr in 1930. This firm also designed the Washington Cathedral (Washington, DC) and in Baltimore, the Episcopal Cathedral of the Incarnation on University Parkway. The Church of Our Saviour is known as one of the finest small churches in America. Stain glass windows were installed over a period from 1930 to the 1960s. The reredos was later updated. The groundbreaking for the Parish Activities Building (also known as the education wing) was in October 1957, and the building was dedicated in June 1958. This addition to the church was designed by architect Howard G. Hall of Baltimore, the contractor was J.H. Williams. Great care was taken to match the architectural integrity and building materials used in the construction of the original church as closely as possible.

The church can seat several hundred people. A sacristy and pastor’s study are included on the main floor. There is an undercroft that can readily accommodate gatherings on the order of a hundred people and includes a large, well-equipped kitchen.

The building has received significant praise for its design and construction. As noted in F. R. Webber, The Small Church, (Jansen, Cleveland, OH, 1939), “…it is one of a perhaps a scant two dozen churches in the United States” where the tower is truly of proper proportions. Mr. Webber also noted that the church “Designed by Frohman, Robb, & Little and built by that master craftsman Mr. Edward A. Wehr … is of a type of construction that ought to last for eight or ten centuries, comparing it with work abroad of like construction.”

In addition, very early on it was recognized locally for its design. “The structure, which has already received many favorable comments because of its splendid lines and pleasing effect, is one of the first in America to combine the architecture of the Early English and Norman periods. It has been built with the thought of permanency and the incorporation in it of a true devotional atmosphere” as was noted in an article in the Baltimore Shopper’s Guide in 1930. This article also noted “Of special interest, because of its excellent conformity with the architectural motif, is the wrought iron hardware of the church. This was made by Samuel Yellin, a Philadelphia craftsman.”

An 18 bell tower was included in the original architectural plans. The bells were cast by the McShane Bell Foundry in Baltimore. The bells have the same range as a human voice and are fully chromatic. The bells weigh between 500 and 3,000 pounds. For a tour of the Our Saviour bell tower, click here.